Social Work Position: Family Support Counselor - Healthy Start Program
KID Healthy Start provides expectant mothers and women with children up to age 3 with the resources, support, and education they need to ensure health and well-being. KID Healthy Start also provides counseling to at-risk clients with the goals of reducing infant mortality, disease, low birth weight, and pre-term birth while improving pregnancy and child development.
This full time position is responsible for providing education, care coordination and support services to prenatal/postnatal moms with children 0-3 years old. The Family Support Counselor (FSC) provides education and care coordination as defined in the Healthy Start Standards and Guidelines, including, advocating and support of pregnant women in order to achieve a positive birth outcome, parent-child interaction, child health and development monitoring, father involvement, in-home education of Childbirth, Parenting, Breastfeeding, Smoking Cessation, Inter-conceptional Counseling, and referrals for supportive counseling. The FSC must be available to families/caregivers on their case load and maintain all documentation required by the program and related contracts.
Skills / Requirements
- Must be Bilingual in Spanish.
- Must have a Bachelor’s Degree and at least two (2) years of experience preferably working with at-risk and diverse families. Knowledge of South Florida’s Social Service System; or an equivalent combination of education, training and work experience including six (6) months of parenting skills training.
- Coursework in child development, parent education, family dynamics, and abuse and neglect are critical, with additional experience highly beneficial.
- Ability to work on an independent basis conducting home visits within the community.
- Must be able to work flexible hours which includes evenings and weekends to accommodate the schedules of participants referred to the program.
- Must be computer literate and have the ability to complete documents in Microsoft Word.
- This position also requires strong organizational and scheduling skills.
- Must have a Valid Florida Driver’s License with full-time access to a reliable vehicle (proof of vehicle insurance is required.)
Classification: Exempt Salary: $ 35K
Full-time employees are eligible to receive a benefits plan including: medical, dental, life, and vision insurance coverage; flexible spending account, long term disability, and a matching 401k plan, among others. Full time employees are also eligible to receive holiday pay, and earn paid vacation after their first year of employment.
It is the policy of Kids In Distress to provide Equal Employment Opportunity for all employees and to applicants for employment in accordance with laws, statutes and regulations concerning equal employment opportunities and affirmative action. We strongly encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply to all of our job openings. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, age, disability status, Genetic Information & Testing, Family & Medical Leave, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Kids In Distress is a Drug Free Workplace and requires drug testing.
Job Status: Full Time